overweight & health
Energy deficit is when the number of calories put in the body is less than energy output – the number of calories you burn each day. When you look at any ‘special diet’, they cut out food groups (calories). If you cut out a food group, it’s easier to create a deficit but unfortunately you are also cutting out important nutrients and this can result in nutritional deficiencies. We need nutrients from a variety of sources to have adequate nutrition for health.
From experience, you are cutting out a food that you overeat or wrestle with. Usually it’s food high in both fat and sugar or carbohydrate. The problem with avoidance is the urge to have it becomes so great and you end up reincluding these foods, without control and the weight goes back on. You may find yourself in this cycle and your weight has changed little over the years despite successful short-term efforts. You may even have gained. So, you may ask what was the point?
Time for a fresh start
Re-set your eating (with two appointments)
- An initial appointment where we look at your current diet, calculate your requirements and the amount required for weight loss whilst including all the nutrients your body needs for good health. We break this down into suitable portions for each meal and snack. Booklets and a monitoring diary are provided.
- A follow-up one week later to see how the plan is working.
Re-set your eating for life (with at least 9 appointments)
- As above, but I monitor you fortnightly or weekly via email or Face to Face in the first twelve weeks. Then monthly or quarterly for up to a year.
- At each appointment we discuss a different topic such as activity, alcohol, food labels and behaviour.
- Booklets and a monitoring diary are provided.
- Similar format to the above options using a Keto specific booklet.
“As I am physically disabled, I knew conventional weight loss methods were no good to me. So, I asked for Brenda’s help and she was able to find a successful diet plan that suited my unique situation. We even found effective exercises I could manage. I’m fitter, lighter and happier.”
“The first time I’ve realised that I need help with my weight was when all my clothes were too tight on me. I’ve looked on internet for dieticians around Sevenoaks and I applied to one of the pages where dieticians will contact you.
Miss Brenda was one of them. She called me one evening and spoke with me for 35 min by phone. Something told me I should go on with her and we made our first appointment.
All I thought it will be was like ‘ok she will give me a diet and I will keep it and that’s it’ but no it was more than that. I remember on our first appointment she asked me a couple of questions that raised all my feelings, that hurt through and made me cry. Then I realised that my problem was more than my overweight, she came to the conclusion that I suffer from binge eating disorder.”