I provide eating disorder support under the insighteating umbrella https://insighteating.co.uk/who-we-help/ Please contact them directly and they will guide you as appropriate.
If you already have team support, I am happy to discuss using my services directly.
If approaching me with your established team, the number of appointments for eating disorders (ED) varies. It varies on age, type and severity. I will be able to guide you on this after I make the initial assessment. My aim is always to try and reach a point where mind and the body is happy, including growth potential (and menstruation for females).
In the initial assessment, I:
- Evaluate the extent of the eating problem based on concerns around weight, shape, restraint and eating.
- Carry out a nutritional health assessment based on weight, height, BMI, body functions and current diet; together with;
- Medical risks (as provided by other health professionals) including refeeding syndrome; and
- Any additional eating considerations such as vegetarian, vegan or ‘clean eating’. Sometimes these get tangled in the ED mindset. I have a flexible approach to eating and support eating that is balanced regardless of whether omnivore, vegan and vegetarian. The emphasis is on variety for nutritional health.
- Make recommendations for the involvement of other health professionals as appropriate such as GP/psychological therapy/psychiatrist.
After considering the above, we all agree a way forward. For children, it’s important we understand how much involvement and the type of support they need from family, significant others and other health professionals. The appointment is supported by leaflets (including a meal/snack routine if necessary) and a summary letter sent after the consultation.
“Brenda first met my 15-year-old daughter at our lowest ebb when my daughter was dangerously underweight as a result of an eating disorder and I was becoming desperate to get help during lockdown. Over a course of fifteen weekly on-line appointments, Brenda turned around this situation and restored my daughter to full nutritional health. Brenda brings an engaging energy and professionalism to her work and immediately gained my daughter’s trust and built the rapport so essential to working with this age group. I will be forever grateful to Brenda for the help she gave my daughter and me at a critical time.”
“Thank you so much for everything, I’ve learnt a lot from our appointments that will help me keep my eating healthy and balanced for life. With your guidance I have gained back control of my nutrition and you have made choices around food a lot simpler than I ever thought they could be!”